Q: Do I need to pursue an MLS for a library trainee position in a public library?

Q: I have my bachelor’s degree in childhood and special education. I have been offered a library trainee position working with young adults at a public library. If I go for my master’s as a Library Media Specialist, can I accept that position, or would I need to be going for my MLS?  Thank you so much.

SM: To work in a public library as a librarian, you will need to have an MLS (or MLIS or equivalent). School libraries have different requirements for library media specialists and don’t always require an MLS degree. Working as a library (or librarian) trainee is a wonderful way to get experience while getting your degree. These temporary positions usually require you to be enrolled in an ALA-accredited library program and they are specifically designed to train you to be a librarian. If you have any questions or concerns, you should contact the human resources department of the library and speak to someone about the requirements for the job.

Useful Sites:

Education and Careers for School Librarians

Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)

Careers in Public Librarianship

Directory of ALA-Accredited Master’s Programs in Library and Information Studies

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s